Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sanjay Gandhi National Park

Field Trip! These kids were really cute, they were so excited to get their picture taken. When I was a kid the coolest field trip I had was a 2 hour drive to the natural history museum. In India they have an almost vulgar amount of ancient relics they get to see just minutes from the city.

We caught a van to the park and I was in the back with these girls and they kept taking pictures of me and giggling, so I took a picture of them too. They gave me spicy apple slices and played some awesome Indian music. Our driver kept honking and then screeched to a halt and there was a huge monkey sitting in the middle of the road.
There were monkeys everywhere. Before we came I told Eric I really wanted to see a monkey. We must have seen a couple dozen. There were monkeys jumping up and down and figthing on top of the bathroom I was in. We also saw a monkey jump out of a tree and take a candy bar out of a girl's hand. We informed not to eat around the monkeys because they were all too comfortable around humans.

There were dozens of residences for Buddhist monks carved out of the side of the mountain like this one.

Eric standing next to one of two thirty foot statues of Buddha at the entrance of the Kanheri Caves. This Buddha dates back to the sixth century AD. The park has a total of 109 caves dating back to the first century BC, pretty amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment